1. Proactively collect data on youth voice and representation in media coverage;
2. Improve youth representation in the media by including quotes and case studies of young people, particularly if they are mentioned in the headline;
3. Use intermediary organisations, who can provide fast and reliable access to a diverse range of young people for inclusion in stories;
4. Employ young people in newsrooms to provide greater youth representation. Reimagine cadetships and paid internship opportunities for young people in a post-COVID-19 world; and
5. Start a conversation with FYA about making the media more representative of young people’s voice, and continuing this research.